Head of People Operationstoptal
Head of People Operations
Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, finance, and project management talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
You will work closely with Toptal’s founders, executive team, People Operations team, and individuals across the company to achieve and maintain cultural alignment throughout the company. You will build systems to measure, reinforce, and reward cultural alignment, as well as feedback mechanisms to identify when teams or individuals are not aligned.
You will work with the People Operations team and key stakeholders around the company to evolve our systems for maximizing the individual impact of all Toptal core team members. This will include measuring the efficacy of our existing processes for onboarding, performance measurement, and learning & development, using this data to guide initiatives to improve each.
Additionally, you will work with the People Operations team and key stakeholders to evolve our systems for maximizing Toptal’s impact on an organizational level, with a focus on HR and quality assurance of key workstreams. You will ensure that the Toptal workforce has world-class support for benefits, employee relations, compensation guidelines, etc., as well as effective processes in place ensuring that all client- and talent-facing work completed is high quality.
In the first week, you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a heavy focus on how top performers effectively get things done at Toptal.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month, you will:
- Undergo an intense training and mentorship period with top performers from a diverse range of teams across Toptal.
- Deep dive into the structure, processes, and ongoing initiatives of the People Operations team.
- Begin working on projects with smaller problem scopes designed to both deliver impact and train you on effective problem solving process and style at Toptal.
- Develop a vision for the future of People Operations at Toptal and a prioritized backlog of projects that will realize that vision across onboarding, performance measurement, learning & development, HR, and quality assurance of key workstreams.
In the first three months, you will:
- Begin executing on your roadmap, measuring the impact of all initiatives, iterating quickly, and driving real value across the organization.
- Align with key stakeholders on the right set of KPIs by which People Operations should be measured.
- Develop and execute initiatives to measure, reinforce, and reward cultural alignment.
- Develop and/or improve processes and standards for measuring and rewarding merit at Toptal, including compensation guidelines, career paths, etc.
In the first six months, you will:
- Complete your first key People Operations initiatives successfully, as evidenced by the relevant KPIs trending up and to the right over time.
- Have a clear set of dashboards and KPIs for People Operations that are reviewed daily or weekly and acted upon quickly and effectively to keep the Toptal core team operating at a world-class level.
- Prove the impact of People Operations initiatives to Toptal’s bottom line and justify significant further investment into scaling People Operations at Toptal.
- Expand your team, prioritizing by organizational impact.
In the first year, you will:
- Further expand your team so that People Operations is ready to support rapid scaling of the Toptal organization.
- Plan out the processes, standards, and initiatives necessary to successfully execute a rapid expansion of the Toptal workforce without loss of quality, culture, or operational excellence.
- Exceptional history of effectively leading complex, cross-functional initiatives in fast-paced, intense environments.
- Strong experience building culture at rapidly growing organizations.
- 3+ years of experience in HR processes, regulations, and problem solving situations. Strong ability to quickly learn aspects of HR that you don’t already know.
- Strong understanding of how driven people from a variety of backgrounds and personality types become and stay motivated.
- Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to inspire and reinforce culture both at the executive level and within teams across the company.
- Exceptional drive, including the ability to set vision and proactively pursue it while being relentlessly resourceful.
- You must be a self-starter with lots of initiative and creativity.
- You must be an excellent leader with an exceptional ability to explain complex concepts clearly while dealing with multiple people, teams, projects, and priorities.
- You need to be comfortable with all aspects of global recruitment and management of global teams, and you must always be an outstanding brand ambassador.
- A deep understanding of how effective culture and employee growth initiatives work at both small and large companies.
- Ability to identify issues impeding team and individual growth and a sense for how to fix those problems.
- While a technical background is not required, you must be excellent at using data and quantitative approaches for decision making.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.